Friday, October 12, 2007

My worst nightmare!

Well it happened. The other night Catherine was over to my house. Eli was flying Kyle to Provo. So we decided to do some crafts for the Lovells Craft fair. It was getting late and I offered to let the girls have a sleep-over with Matty. Catherine left and I decided to wait for Eli. He texted about 12:30ish and said he was over I15 and I80. I knew it would be awhile but decided to stay up anyway. I got the girls to sleep and worked on some web designs (another story). He called about 1:30. I hated the tone in his voice from the split second that I heard it. He said,.....I'm in Cedar. My comms aren't working and I can't turn on the runway lights. I'm almost out of gas. He had been flying in the pattern for a couple minutes trying to get ahold of his boss and old instructor. He only had some of them programmed in his phone. No-one was answering so he had to make a quick decision. Try to keep getting ahold of someone to come turn them on or fly to Saint George. He told me to run up to our airport in St George and find someone to turn them on or get in a plane and turn them on myself. He said he wasn't sure how long he had before he ran out of gas. He plans for a 45 min reserve in case of emergencies. but wasn't sure how long he had been flying. So his parting words were....Call 911 if you have too!
I called my neighbor to see if she could come over with the kids. no answer. WHAT! IS THIS THE NIGHT NO ONE WILL ANSWER THEIR PHONE!!!! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!! K fine (it was after two at this point in time.) So I called my other friend, for sure she would answer.nope. I left. I felt like I was wasting time so I called Catherine on the way and she answered her phone! That was the longest ride to the airport. Speeding slightly, hazards on.... ran one red (very cautiously!!! of course).....passed a cop (yeah, even this didn't get their attention!!) I pulled up to the airport and it was dark.....everywhere! Thats when I called 911. I got on the tarmack and began running to all the private plans. all were locked but one. I got in the one, but I couldn't get the lights to come on! I turned the master switch on then the comms and clicked the button like mad. No lights. Soooo frusterating!!! Panicked now yes!!! the operator had put me on hold forever ago! I felt so helpless. FINALLY the operator got back on said he had just talked to Eli and we was able to land safely in Cedar. Eli ended up calling 911 there and the airport fire trucks came....lights on and everything!! I think they thought it would be a crash landing or something! The reason I freaked out was people have tried many times to just land it in the dark and crashed and died! I knew that he was following emergency procedure and was coolheaded about it. Anyhow FAA did have to investigate, but Eli followed everything to a T! I feel extremely blessed and am so greatful for the power of prayer!! Now I just hope that is the last time we experience something like that!! Experiences are good for future references but...... I can't handle them very well!!

1 comment:

Hans said...

Hey Kristin. Glad everything is OK. Eli always has been a little more crazy than most of us to push the edge of what can and should be done.

Hans